Photography



I've just spent the weekend undertaking an intensive digital photography course with Matthew Stanton,  author of the above image of one of my old works on display in The Order of Melbourne. I must say, if you are in need of education in this field, I highly recommend Matt's intermediate DSLR course; after two intense and kind of exhausting days (although I can't begin to imagine how he feels...) I no longer feel like I am at the mercy of the camera, and I can finally begin to start reclaiming control over the beast. Of course putting all this new-found information to use will no doubt prove to be another story altogether. Stay tuned for results on that front...

In the meantime, I thought I'd share some images by photographers whose work I really admire, and which have been flooding back to me over the course of the weekend. (click on the links below each image if you want to know more about these artists)


Bernd & Hilla Becher, industrial/landscape typologies


Thomas Demand, sculpture as photography


Jeff Wall, manufactured scenes

And for further reference, I really love Richard Mosse's series of crashed aeroplanes or his images from abandoned palaces in Baghdad. 

There's plenty more, but I think it would be preferable to infuse them slowly over time, rather than dumping them all this one post...


1 comment: